Welcome to Careers
Our aim is for all our students to have the skills, qualities and capabilities required by not only the UK labour market but the global job market too. Careers aspirational work, advice and guidance starts in Year 7 will run through to when our students move on, and even beyond via future Alumni.
Through a series of dedicated lessons, students discover what they enjoy at school and how this relates to a career. They have assistance in choosing GCSE options, gain an understanding of the jobs market and undertake research into careers that may interest them (see research websites below).
In Year 10, we focus on creating a CV, practising job interview skills and preparation for work experience. Work experience dates for 2017-2018 will be week beginning 14th May 2018. We will have an "Employable Me" day following work experience, in which local employers will give interview practice.
We hold a number of Careers talks throughout the year, given by volunteers who come in to tell our students about how their career path has developed, their background and qualifications, a typical working day and to offer advice to those interested in their field of work. There is also an opportunity for students to ask questions.
Students can choose which careers talks to attend, but are obliged to attend some. We welcome new volunteer speakers! Please get in touch if you would be willing to offer a session.
Events and careers fairs
We access a number of events and careers fairs to ensure our students have as many opportunities as possible to find out about the world of work and future careers.
The following are some websites that may help students research careers.
- https://icould.com/ (a good website to help you link your strengths at school with potential careers)
- https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/job-profiles/home (useful for researching a specific career)
- www.plotr.co.uk/ (for careers in Transport/ Engineering)
- https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and-work-experience/job-sectors (for graduate jobs all sectors)
- http://www.mathscareers.org.uk/career-profiles/ (careers profiles with maths, science, engineering)
- https://www.goconstruct.org/construction-jobs/career-explorer/ (careers in construction)
- https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles (careers in healthcare)
The school receives a number of advertisements for private career events which are detailed below: (02/10/2017)
- Free careers event - Wednesday 11th and Thursday 12th October 4:15-8pm
What Next Career fair - at Harvey Hadden Sports Village, Bilborough, Nottingham, NG8 4PB (24/09/2017)
- Dates for Year 10 work experience
Week beginning 14th May 2018 (22/09/2017)