Three different components to study – Composing, Performing and Appraising.
Pupils will have a written exam for the appraising section.
Pupils will have to submit 2 compositions and 2 performances each.
All three components are based on 4 areas of study:
- AOS 1 – Instrumental Music 1700-1820
- AOS 2 – Vocal Music
- AOS 3 – Music for Stage and Screen
- AOS 4 - Fusions
Performing - 30% of overall qualification – 60 marks.
Pupils have to submit 4 minutes worth of performance.
- At least 1 minute has to be a solo performance.
- At least 1 minute has to be an ensemble performance.
Pupils can play any instrument or voice for their performance.
By the end of Y11, pupils should be at Grade 4 standard.
Regular performances happen throughout Y9-11 in front of audiences and to the class.
Composing - 30% of overall qualification – 60 marks.
Pupils have to submit at least 3 minutes worth of composition.
- At least 1 minute has to be based on a brief set by the exam board.
- At least 1 minute has to be a free composition set by the student.
Pupils are expected to write their compositions on a computer software called Sibelius.
Listening/Appraising - 40% of overall qualification – 80 marks
The paper is made out of two sections.
- Six questions relating to six of the eight set works.
- One short melody/rhythm completion exercise.
- One question on a unfamiliar piece.
One essay question that compares one set work and an unfamiliar piece.
The eight set works are:
|AOS 1 – Instrumental Music 1700-1820||J S Bach: 3rd Movement from Brandenburg Concerto no.5 in D Major |
L van Beethoven: 1st Movement from Piano Sonata no. 8 in C minor ‘Pathétique’
|AOS 2 – Vocal Music||H Purcell: Music for a While |
Queen: Killer Queen
|AOS 3 – Music for Stage and Screen||S Schwartz: Defying Gravity |
J Williams: Main title (Star Wars)
|AOS 4 – Fusions||Afro Celt Sound System: Release |
Esperanza Spalding: Samba Em Preludio
Careers from GCSE Music
- Session Musician
- Orchestral Performer
- Recording Artist
- Choral Singer
- Sound Engineer
- Music Teacher
- Music Historia
- Instrument Maker
- Music Therapist
- Music Critic
And lots more!!
- Summer Concert 2017
Come and support the talent at NFS! (10/07/2017)
- Spring Showcase!!
Well done to all performers! (28/04/2017)
- Nottingham Free School has Musical Talent!
Q&A with our talented year 8s (09/04/2017)
- Big Sing 2017!
Congratulations 7A!! (31/03/2017)
- Y9 GCSE Music Primary School Visit
The Y9's visited Haydn Primary School. (27/03/2017)