Welcome to Year 9
Head of Year
- Mr P Cleveley
Assistant Head of Year
- Mr T Sims
- 9.1 - Mr Coppack
- 9.2 - Mrs Douglas and Mrs K Singleton-Jones
- 9.3 - Mrs B Inglis
- 9.4 - Miss Tervit
We pride ourselves in a real sense of community, respect and understanding for each other and aim to work hard and be kind all of the time. We endeavour to ensure that students work together and help each other to achieve their full potential academically, morally and socially.
The tutor is responsible for supporting the pupils in their care in all aspects of school life; academic, social and personal. They, alongside Heads of Department and subject staff, will monitor academic progress using data information circulated on a regular basis. We have a team of tutors, who are all teaching staff at the school. Tutors register their tutor set every morning and have time to discuss any concerns and prepare students for the day ahead.
We follow a weekly schedule for tutor time activities which provides students with an array of opportunities as well as support and guidance, in the following areas: attendance, positive and negative points, target setting and best achievement, homework and organisation, equipment, uniform, behaviour, active discussion time, quizzes and much more! Every week, one student from each tutor set is nominated as Star of the Week for achieving the most positive points the previous week. Every Friday, the tutor set with the best attendance overall are rewarded with flapjacks made by our kitchen staff.
THE HEAD OF YEAR
All of the tutor sets and tutors are led by our Head of Year, Mr P Cleveley. The Head of Year is responsible for co-ordinating the work of the year group as a whole and monitoring overall pastoral care, behaviour and progress.
The Head of Year ensures that the whole Year group work together effectively to ensure that all students feel safe and happy at school, whilst maintaining our school ethos and high standards of behaviour by working alongside the teaching staff. The Head of Year also helps to organise and oversee assemblies.
THE ASSISTANT HEAD OF YEAR
The Assistant Head of Year, Mr Sims, support the work of the Head of Year. The Assistant Head of Year also monitor achievement closely and ensures that students are rewarded for their hard work through our end of term achievement assemblies.
Homework plays a vital role in student achievement and all homework set is relevant and purposeful in order to help students make progress with their learning. It is expected that students in Year 9 complete about one and half hours of homework each evening (in the lead up to assessments, this will increase) and record every piece of homework set in their planners.
The homework set is also available to view online, via Insight, and parents have their own individual login details for this. It is helpful if parents regularly check the student planner and pass on any concerns to the tutor or relevant subject teacher.
Attendance is a key factor in students' success at school. We monitor attendance very closely and students are expected to attend school every day and arrive on time each morning. Where possible, medical appointments should be made outside of school hours. An overall attendance of 96% or above will ensure that your child is making the best progress possible - anything below this is a cause for concern and your child will be missing key lessons and work.
Students should arrive at school well equipped and prepared for the day ahead. Parents and children together should ensure that they have the following:
- School bag, pencil case and equipment - pens, pencils, ruler, rubber, sharpener, green pen etc.
- Correct uniform - black formal shoes, black trousers or skirt, white shirt, jumper, blazer and tie.
- No jewellery (except one pair of stud earrings if required.) No accessories or nail varnish.
- The correct books for lessons
- Homework folder
- Water bottle/flask
- Packed lunch/snack/money for school dinners
- Dark coloured outdoor jacket for bad weather
- Charged iPad
- Reading book
- GCSE English Set Texts - Foundation
- GCSE English Set Texts - Higher
- Important Information - Dates & Timings
- Achievement Trip
- Summer Concert
- Leave of Absence from School Letter
- Duke of Edinburgh Information Evening
- Ofsted Letter to Parents
- School Inspections - A Guide for Parents
- Year 9 Geography Field Trip
- Homework Policy
- Year 9 Parents Evening 2017
- Spanish Mock Exam
- Tutor Review Day 21/03/17
- Year 9 Spanish Trip Parent's Meeting
- Cross Country Competition
- December 2016 Newsletter
- Christmas Concert Volunteers
- Christmas in the City
- EFL's Girl's Cup
- Nottingham University Scholars
- Spanish Trip Flight Information
- Country of Birth & Nationality
- Pantomime Trip
- Tutor Review Day 2016
- September 2016 Newsletter
- Student Helpers at Year 6 Open Evening
- Cross Country Competition
- Eid Absence
- Dinner & Bus Payments
- 25/7/17 End of Summer Term - School will finish at 3.35pm
- 26/7/17 Uniform Shop 10.00am - 3.00pm
- 31/8/17 Uniform Shop - 10.00am - 3.00pm
- 1/9/17 Uniform Shop - 10.00am - 3.00pm
- 4/9/17 First day of Autumn Term - 3.35pm finish
- 5/9/17 2nd day of Autumn Term - 3.35pm finish
- 6/9/17 3rd day of Autumn Term - 3.35pm finish
- 7/9/17 Normal School Day Resumes - 8.15am - 4.45pm
- 8/9/17 Normal Friday School Day - 8.15am - 2.45pm
Year 9 News
- No recent news stories.