Our curriculum intent is about offering students a range of sports to engage them in a variety of different activities, based on values that students will hopefully develop a lifelong love for participation in some form of physical activity. This breadth of activities is made accessible for all socio-economic groups, cultures and disabilities.
We ensure that the breadth of experience is not at a detriment to students improving their skills and tactical awareness. Our curriculum has been shaped so that students delve deeper in to 2 activity areas (Netball and Handball), which are extended blocks of work. This allows students to gain a real range and quality of transferrable Core and Advanced skills as well as Decision Making and Tactical Awareness attributes, in these 2 activities. The deeper principles and skills learned will underpin many of the other activities experienced, whilst also helping to prepare students for the difficult practical content of GCSE PE. As such, our curriculum is designed in-line with the National Curriculum aims to ensure our students
- develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities
- are physically active for sustained periods of time
- engage in competitive sports and activities
- lead healthy, active lives.
We reflect SMSC and British Values policies and have outlined how we ensure we approach and support of each of the strands, in the ‘SMSC, FBV and Careers Audit Document’, which can be found in the Central Resource area of the school intranet. Extra-Curricular sport is also built in to the curriculum through the Enrichment programme to offer students a further breadth of traditional team sports and alternative activities; to expand their cultural capital.
Physical Education News
- Y10 Netballers make huge improvements to win 4/5 games!
Y10 Central Venue League Netball (07/11/2019)
- GCSE PE students final day of cycling
Last bits of evidence for GCSE PE students! (05/11/2019)
- Yr 8 Boys Central Venue League
So close, yet so far (14/10/2019)
- Heroines in blue dresses - an unreal opener to the netball season
Y9 Netball Team (03/10/2019)
- The year 7 rounders team storm through to the city finals!
Finals to be held at home on thurs 11th july (04/07/2019)