Welcome to PSHE & Careers
PSHCE (Personal, social, health and citizenship education)
Our PSHCE curriculum provides a range of topics to prepare students for life after education as well as deal with current issues. We have growing range of providers who help make the curriculum more varied.
The topics covered by students during their weekly 45 minute dedicated PSHCE lesson include:
|Year group||Topics covered|
|7||Healthy eating |
British citizenship and rule of law
Smoking and its dangers
Puberty and Hygiene
|8||Mental Health issues and mindfulness |
Citizenship and refugees
Dangers of energy drinks and alcohol
Options and choices
Careers and enterprise
Our news page will keep you updated on the wealth of external provider opportunities we also offer.
Preparing students for the world of work is an important aspect of their experience at Nottingham Free School and all students participate in a careers programme (click here to download the whole school careers plan) which is based around the the ten employability goals:
- Self-motivation – taking responsibility for developing work readiness
- Self-assurance – having the tools and skills to present themselves to employers
- Aspiration – having high personal goals
- Informed – understanding the opportunities available and making realistic choices
- Experience – having experience of work that is rewarding and fulfilling
- Achieving – qualifications valued by employers
- Accountability – understanding how to take responsibility
- Resilience – understanding employers need for people who can listen and learn
- Entrepreneurial – working creatively to achieve personal and business potential
- Co-operation – developing effective communication and co working skills
Students keep a record of all their experiences related to these goals in a skills passport. All enrichment activities are related to the employability skills in order for students to choose activities which provide them with a well rounded profile of skills.
Year 8 Options
This is the main focus of the careers plan for all year 8 students and aims to provide students and their parent(s)/carer(s) with quality information in order to make good choices for their GCSE options. Students participate in PSHCE lessons devoted to making good choices and are given an options booklet which gives key information about all of the courses available. An options evening is held every year for students and parent(s)/carer(s) which gives further information about the options process itself and the opportunity to hear individual presentations from subject staff.
Please download the option booklets here:
- Classes 8a and 8b: EBacc Options booklet 2016-17
- Classes 8c and 8d: Non-EBacc Options booklet 2016-17
PSHE & Careers News
- Employability is a key focus at Nottingham Free School
Scheme launched throughout school. (03/03/2017)
- Year 8 options
Year 8 choose their options (16/03/2016)
- Bananas are even better than you thought!
Year 7 are learning how to make sugar swaps. (16/03/2016)