"Literacy is the combination of reading, writing , speaking and listening skills that we all need to fulfil our potential. These skills are essential to the happiness, health and wealth of individuals and society.
One person in six in the UK lives with poor literacy. This holds them back at every stage of their life. As a child they won't be able to succeed at school, as an adult they will be locked out of the job market and on becoming a parent, they won't be able to support their child's learning. Lacking these vital skills undermines their well-being and stops them making a full contribution to the economic and cultural life of our nation." National Literacy Trust
At Nottingham Free School we believe that all teachers are responsible for developing literacy skills in all of our pupils. This will support pupil learning and raise standards across the curriculum because:
- Reading skills allow pupils to access information in all subjects.
- Increased vocabulary knowledge will help them in all subjects.
- Writing skills allow pupils to express their knowledge and understanding in all subjects.
- Increased literacy levels will have a positive impact on pupils' self esteem, motivation and behaviour.
- Pupils will have a greater chance of success in all areas of their lives.
All pupils follow our PROUD agenda in order to take responsibility for their own literacy development. We also have regular literacy starters in all subjects with a particular focus each month, for example, apostrophes. VCOP is displayed in all classrooms and is actively used in all subject areas. This is supported by a spelling sheet in all exercise books to record and learn any incorrect spellings. We also have a school Word of the Week to help enlarge pupil's vocabulary.
Literacy and reading strategies:
- Drop Everything and Read (DEAR) - the whole school reads for 15 minutes every day, on a rotating cycle of lessons.
- Vocabulary, Connectives, Openers, Punctuation (VCOP)
- Book Bags are given to some students to encourage reading participation.
- Reading Ambassadors - a team of students who promote reading across the school.
- Literacy Starters
- Literacy marking code.
- Promotion of reading through participation in national events eg World Book Day, Roald Dahl Day.
- We've made the Regional Finals of The Great Big Dance-Off AGAIN!
Nottingham Albert Hall...Here we come! (Physical Education - 18/01/2018)
- City Schools' Cross Country Finals - HUGE SUCCESS
Notable performances and a great group effort! (Physical Education - 12/01/2018)
- Signposting - careers opportunities for 2018
The school receives a number of advertisements for private career events which are detailed below: (Careers - 03/01/2018)
- Our e-book is live!
The Creative Writing enrichment group publish their first e-book (Whole School - 14/12/2017)
- Maths Challenge Preparation
Next term sees the start of the preparation in the maths department for this year's UKMT challenges. (Mathematics - 11/12/2017)