Reading Policy at Nottingham Free School:
- Development of reading skills will be given a high priority in every subject
- All students at risk of reading failure will be identified and helped
- No student will leave school unable to read at their age level
In the English Department we are passionate about reading and would encourage all our students to pick up a book as a way of stimulating their imagination, improving their vocabulary and expression and, above all, providing hours of entertainment away from televisions, phones, Ipads and computers.
We recommend both fiction and non-fiction; both provide a source of information and will help students to improve their grammar, spelling and sense of how a piece of writing should be organised.
To help promote good reading habits, we would encourage parents to be heavily involved in this process. There are a number of ways in which you can do this:
- read regularly in front of your children. It helps if they see you reading as it provides them with a good role model
- visit the library or bookshop together
- have lots of books, magazines and newspapers around the house
- discuss books and newspaper articles with your children
With so many distractions and demands on their time, it is extremely important for students to have an opportunity to read quietly and think about what they have read; it helps students make sense of the world around them and reflect on their place within that world.
Most students have one reading lesson a week . They also take part in the Accelerated Reader programme where they are encouraged to read appropriate books by engaging in quizzes and competitions.
Nottingham Free School loves reading (18/09/2019)
- Carnegie Awards
Carnegie Awards Shortlist Announced! (19/03/2019)
- Welcome to Y11!
We are so happy to have our first Y11 cohort. (12/09/2018)
- Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde theatre trip
Y9 and 10 enjoyed a trip to the Theatre Royal yesterday (22/03/2018)
- Children in Need!
Students had a great day raising money for Children in Need! (21/11/2017)