How to find a work experience placement
How to find work experience
It can be a challenge to find work experience. Students have attended workshops and an assembly on how to apply and find placements. However, here are a few pointers to help find a worthwhile placement.
1) The student needs to choose a field of work that genuinely interests them. In school we have discouraged taking “the easy option”.
2) Search for employers through the internet, local knowledge and the Safety Measures website.
3) Alternatively, use your own social and professional networks. Personal contacts are most likely to yield a positive response.
4) Approach the employer in person or by sending a letter or email or by making a phone call. The student needs to do this. An adult must check the letter before it is sent.
5) If no response is received, follow up with a phone call. The student will need to be persistent.
Employers must have Employers Liability Insurance to be able to take on a student for work experience.
Safety Measures are a heathy and safety company who will be performing the risk assessments for the work placements. They have a website which details employers who have taken on students in the past. This does not mean they are necessarily offering a placement every year. To search for placements on the Safety Measure database, go to: http://safetymeasures.work-experience.co.ukStudents have details of username and passwords. Please get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org if you require them.
Please be aware that many companies will offer one work placement per year. Young people from other schools will be chasing the same placements, therefore it is important to apply early to avoid disappointment.
- CAREERS INFORMATION EVENING - Wednesday 16th October - 6 pm - 8 pm
Open to parents and students in years 9, 10, 11, 12 (15/10/2019)