The Drama Curriculum
The KS3 drama curriculum is focused on developing key drama skills, both individually and as part of a group. The drama curriculum provides the opportunity for students to explore key social and moral issues whilst developing their own imagination and creativity .
Students are taught to develop skills such as mime, split screen, thought tracking and characterisation in their own devised performance work. As well as this students will also have the opportunity to explore text, learning lines and rehearsing in order to understand the process of 'page to stage'.
As part of the KS3 curriculum at Nottingham Free School the students have one drama lesson per week. At the end of year 8 the students will then have the opportunity to take GCSE drama as one of their option choices from year 9 onwards.
KS3 Drama Schemes of Work
- The Cantabrian Wild Cat
- The Tempest
- Ernie's Incredible Illucinations
- Darkwood Manor
- Pop stars
- The Hillsborough Disaster
- The Titanic
- The Terrible Fate of Humpty Dumpty
How am I assessed in KS3 drama?
During KS3 drama both practical and written assessments will take place during each scheme of work.
Following the AQA exam specification, GCSE Drama offers students the opportunity to explore drama as a practical art form. Students will explore the ways in which meanings are communicated to an audience through choices of form, style and convention. Students will create, perform and respond to performance work informed by their theoretical knowledge of drama. They will apply a range of vocal and physical theatrical skills to their performance work, as well as evaluating and commenting on the performance work they create throughout the creative process.
There are 3 assessed components within the GCSE course:
- Component1: Understanding Drama - Written exam 40% of GCSE.
- Component 2: Devising Drama - Performance with written devising log, 40% of GCSE.
- Component 3: Texts In Practise - Performance of Scripted Extract 1 and Extract 2, 20% of GCSE
GCSE course structure
- Term 1A and 1B - Component 2 - Devising Drama
- Term 2A - Component 1, Section A and B - Understanding Drama
- Term 2B - Component 1, Section C - Live Theatre Production
- Term 3A and 3B - Component 3 - Texts In Practise
- Term 1A and 1B - Mock Component 1 Sections A and B - Understanding Drama
- Term 2A and 2B - Mock Component 2 - Devising Drama
- Term 3A - Component 1, Section C - Live Theatre Production
- Term 3B - Component 3 - Texts In Practise
- Term 1A and 1B - Component 2 Controlled Assessment - Devising Drama
- Term 2A and 2B - Component 3 Controlled Assessment - Texts In Practise
- Term 3A and 3B - Component 1 Revision and Examination
- Years 7 and 8
Performance Work (16/11/2017)
- Year 10
Devising Drama (16/11/2017)
- Year 9 in rehearsal
- Drama Enrichment
- Gold Coins
Fantastic work from the following students this half term! Well done and keep up the hard work! (28/03/2017)